Welcome to the Monday Morning Book Buzz, a preview of notable books being released this week. Some of them will be added to the Academy Library collection; if you read about a title that you would like added to the collection, let me know by either commenting on this post or by contacting me directly at the Library.
If you would like to subscribe to the CA Library Blog, click the Entries (RSS) button at the top of the menu on the right and add the link to your favorite news aggregator. You can also follow us on Facebook by visiting http://www.facebook.com/calibrary and hitting the ‘Like’ button.
This week’s releases are listed by category: Young Adult Fiction, Graphic Novels, General Fiction and Nonfiction. On-sale dates are indicated in parentheses.
Notable New Releases for the week of May 21st:
- The Enchantress (Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel Series #6) by Michael Scott (5/22/2012) — With only a day left to live and one job left to finish, Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel must defend San Francisco from monsters on Alcatraz Island; meanwhile, Sophie and Josh Newman travel into the past after Dr. John Dee and Virginia Dare.
- Taken by Storm (Raised by Wolves Series) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (5/22/2012) — Alpha Bryn’s humanity becomes a bigger problem as she takes her place in the werewolf Senate and tries to address a new threat to the pack.
- The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles Series) by Kady Cross (5/22/2012) — Finley Jayne and her super-powered friends travel to the United States to find their friend Jasper whose girlfriend Mei’s life is in the hands of a man who wants back an item Jasper stole from him.
- Fated (Soul Seekers Series #1) by Alyson Noël (5/22/2012) — Strange things are happening to Daire Santos and fearing for her daughter’s sanity, Daire’s mother sends her to live with the grandmother she’s never met, but who recognizes the visions for what they truly are-the call to her destiny as a Soul Seeker-one who can navigate the worlds between the living and dead.
- Alice on Board by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (5/22/2012) — Seeking one last adventure before going off to college, Alice and her friends find summer employment on a Chesapeake Bay cruise ship. “Readers who have been along with Alice on her journey from the start will enjoy this latest installment in a reliable series as it begins to wind down.” — Kirkus Reviews
- Of Poseidon by Anna Banks (5/22/2012) — Galen ,the prince of Syrnea, is sent to land to find a girl who communicate with fish. He finds Emma and after several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, Galen becomes convinced Emma holds the key to his kingdom. “Entertaining for readers riding the wave of mermaid fantasies.” — Kirkus Reviews
- The Walking Dead Omnibus, Volume 1 by Robert Kirkman (5/23/2012) — This deluxe hardcover features the first 24 issues of the hit series (complete with covers) all in one massive, oversized slip-cased volume. Perfect for longtime fans, new readers, and anyone needing a heavy object with which to fend off The Walking Dead!
- Frostbite (Vampire Academy Graphic Novel Series #2) by Richelle Mead (5/24/2012) — The drama and romance continue in this 144-page full-color graphic novel adaptation of the second Vampire Academy novel, Frostbite, which was overseen by Richelle Mead and features beautiful art by acclaimed British illustrator Emma Vieceli.
- Canada by Richard Ford (5/22/2012) — When his parents are arrested for robbing a bank, Dell Parson is sent to Canada under the care of Arthur Remlinger and tries to reconcile with his life, only to find himself at odds with Remlinger’s violent ways.
- Beautiful Sacrifice by Elizabeth Lowell (5/22/2012) — Lina Taylor, a dedicated female archaeologist, and Hunter Johnston, a former immigration and customs enforcement officer, must recover priceless South American artifacts that could bring deadly chaos into the world.
- The Lower River by Paul Theroux (5/22/2012) — Sixty-two-year-old Ellis Hock’s family has abandoned him, he and hopes to rekindle his youthful happiness in Malawi where he taught school forty years earlier, but in Malawi he finds the old school in ruins and the people apathetic. “A gripping and vital novel that reads like Conrad or Greene—in short, a classic.” — Booklist starred review
- Princeps (Imager Portfolio Series #5) by L. E. Modesitt Jr. (5/22/2012) — Quaeryt has been elevated to Princeps of Tilbor when a volcano erupts in the old capital of Telaryn and he sets out to restore order.
- Nightworld (Adversary Cycle Series #6) by F. Paul Wilson (5/22/2012) — Presents a revision of the author’s novel that finds Repairman Jack facing the end of the world beginning with the sun rising late, holes developing, and hungry creatures appearing. “Wilson grafts drive-in B-movie horrors onto a plot with metaphysical substance, and the result is a carnival funhouse ride of a story that still offers food for thought.” — Publishers Weekly
- 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson (5/22/2012) — Earth is no longer humanity’s only home and new habitats have been created throughout the solar system on moons, planets, and in between, and in the year 2312, a sequence of events will force humanity to confront its past, its present, and its future, and an unexpected death will change the life of Swan Er Hong, a designer of worlds. “Robinson’s extraordinary completeness of vision results in a magnificently realized, meticulously detailed future in which social and biological changes keep pace with technological developments.” — Publishers Weekly
- It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership by Colin Powell (5/22/2012)
- Fearless: The Undaunted Courage and Ultimate Sacrifice of Navy SEAL Team SIX Operator Adam Brown by Eric Blehm (5/22/2012)
- Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys: The Epic Story of Murder and Vengeance by Lisa Alther (5/22/2012)
- The Elephant Whisperer: My Life with the Herd in the African Wild by Lawrence Anthony (5/22/2012)
- The Real Crash: America’s Coming Bankruptcy—How to Save Yourself and Your Country by Peter Schiff (5/22/2012)
- Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round by Marisa McClellan (5/22/2012)
- Season of ’42: Joe D., Teddy Ballgame, and Baseball’s Fight to Survive a Turbulent First Year of War by Jack Cavanaugh (5/25/2012)
- Return to Wake Robin: One Cabin in the Heyday of Northwoods Resorts by Marnie O. Mamminga (5/21/2012)